Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Off to school she goes.....

All grown up.....
Today, I was a basket case. I cried in front of a complete stranger. It was Kaitlyn's first day of Kindergarten. She was just fine....walzed right into her classroom and sat down, waiting for something to start. I managed to keep it together until I was walking to the car after leaving Kaitlyn behind.....and the tears just flowed. A nice lady (who had translated for me the night of the teacher-parent meeting) named Stacey gave me a big hug and told me that she felt the same way when her little guy first went to school....that made me feel a little less weird for crying. I was under the impression that we were going to be able to be in the classroom for the morning, to ease Kaitlyn into her 'all french' class, but just after we showed her where to hang her bag up and put her 'outside shoes' away, she slipped into the classroom and the teacher was at the door saying that parents weren't allowed in because it would be too chaotic.....I didn't even get to say goodbye to Kaitlyn or tell her that we would be back at lunch.....I was leaving Kaitlyn with a bunch of strangers who only spoke french and she didn't know a soul or where to go to the bathroom or even how to ask if she could go to the bathroom.......
I felt like I had abandoned her.....I know, I know....dramatic....but my mother's heart was grieving when we drove away from her school.....I just wanted her to be okay, to make friends, to have fun, to not be scared because she doesn't understand what anyone is saying or what she is sopposed to do.....I wanted to be there to help her out at first.....but I just had to leave her in God's hands as my husband said to me. Easier said then done, but in my heart of hearts, I know he is right.....
We came back around lunch time (I had regained my composure by then) and had a nice lunch with her class outside.....she seemed to be having a good time.....it was good to see her still smiling and wanting to go back (without us) to her classroom after lunch. She waved and I blew a kiss and watched her walk confidently and excitedly back into her school......she is more brave than me, that's for sure.
We picked her up at 3:25 and she was full of stories about her day......tired but excited to go back to school. Thank God for an adventurous, confident, courageous, trusting little girl......I know she will do well at school.....and I think I'll make it too.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure she did great! Jakob is going into French Immersion too...but not in Quebec :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, where are you guys at now? Is french immersion 100% french all day? or do they do half day in english, half day in french? It would be interesting to hear if there are any differences between Quebec schools and French immersion schools.

    ReplyDelete