Thursday, August 16, 2018

Ideas from an Ex-pat Kitchen: Banana or Mango Smoothie

Ladies. I must admit I've never been the biggest fan of bananas....ever since I had food poisoning-like sickness shortly after eating a banana, I couldn't bring myself to eat one for YEARS (thinking I was allergic)....BUT.....several years ago, I decided to give bananas another try and voila! I discovered that I am not allergic to bananas AND they actually taste good in just about everything....ok, not everything but certainly lots of baked goods and to my recent discovery: smoothies!
I do admit that the appeal of bananas increases when it is the cheapest and most readily available fruit in Chad.....but to be honest, I really, really, really like this recipe....and so do my kids. If you've written off bananas like I had....I encourage you to give them another try.....this recipe could be the thing that makes you fall in love with bananas all over again :)
As for mangoes, I never really ate them before living in Chad as they are considered an 'exotic' fruit in Canada and therefore outrageously expensive to buy so we just never bought them. BUT, since mangoes are a dime a dozen around here when they are in season, I discovered that freezing pieces of mango and adding them to my smoothie recipe (milk powder, water and vanilla), we could enjoy a creamy, naturally sweet fruit drink that is filling and healthy!

Banana
Deliciously cold & naturally sweet
or Mango Smoothie


1. Cover baking sheet or large plate with parchment or wax paper.

2. Slice 3 medium bananas or cut up several mangoes and place fruit pieces on baking sheet/plate in a single layer (do not layer them as you want to freeze them individually for easy blending).

3. Freeze for 3 hours minimum (can spend all day/night in freezer if need be). The fruit needs to be frozen in order to provide that creamy, thick texture.

4. Remove tray/plate from freezer and lift up the parchment paper on one side to unstick the fruit from the plate/tray. Continue to remove frozen banana or mango slices and place them in a medium ziplock freezer bag for storage. (This amount of sliced fruit will make enough for 3-4 Ikea kids-size cups).

5. Place 1/2 the bag of frozen bananas or mangoes into a blender.

6. Add 1/3 Cup milk powder. *

7. Add 1/3 Cup cold water.

8. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

9. Blend until mixture is smooth and thick.

10. Pour into cups and serve right away.

* If you live in a place that does not use milk powder but rather liquid milk, add the same amount of milk (1/3 Cup) but do not add any water otherwise it will be too liquidy.

**I freeze any leftovers into popsicle molds and serve banana or mango smoothie popsicles the next time my kids want something cold!

** I keep bags of frozen banana slices and mango pieces in the freezer at all times, so this smoothie process is a quick one! I just freeze the slices and store them in bags for quick removal and use.


No comments:

Post a Comment